A&E Goes ‘Psycho’ Ordering ‘LOST’ Showrunner’s ‘Bates Motel’
Have you ever watched the classic Hitchcock thriller 'Psycho,' and thought to yourself "that was great, but wouldn't it be better with Norman Bates as a precocious youth?" Good news, everybody! Previously announced to be attaching 'LOST' show-runner and executive producer Carlton Cuse, A&E has officially elected to move forward with their 'Psycho' prequel series 'Bates Motel,' tentatively set for 2013. But how big is the order?
Prior to even viewing a pilot, A&E has decided to send 'Psycho' prequel series 'Bates Motel' straight to series, placing a 10-episode order. When the project was previously announced, it was said to be a six-episode “event” that would be taken to additional seasons if successful. Developed by 'LOST's Carlton Cuse, ‘Bates Motel’ marks Cuse’s first genre TV project since ‘LOST’ ended in 2010. ‘Friday Night Lights’ writer Kerry Ehrin will also join as a writer/EP working with Cuse.
'Bates Motel’ reportedly takes a ‘Twin Peaks’ meets ‘Smallville’ approach to telling the back-story of ‘Psycho’ killer Norman Bates. The series focuses on the killer’s days as a boy and how his life with his deranged mother and her lover drove him mad, eventually turning him the killer we know from Hitchcock’s film. No casting has yet been announced.
“We are proud to be partnering with Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin on their thrilling reinvention of one of the most compelling characters in cinematic history,” A&E Network president Bob DeBitetto and executive vice president of programming David McKillop said. “It’s a provocative project from two of the best storytellers in the business, and we’re looking forward to getting started.”
Does a full-season order get you primed for the prequel series,' or does ‘Bates Motel’ sound a little too psychotic for your tastes? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below