‘The Hunger Games’ and ‘Twilight’ Are Influencing Baby Names?
Baby names are often influenced by pop culture, and this year is no exception, with prognosticators saying several movies, television shows and music stars will impact what winds up on birth certificates in 2012.
Nameberry, which bills itself as “the unique baby name guide by the world’s leading experts,” analyzed nearly 3 million views of its site’s individual name pages in the first quarter of 2012 to create a list of the hottest names going right now.
Here are a few highlights:
- ‘The Hunger Games‘ has led to a spike in popularity for botanical names like Katniss, Primrose, Posy and Clove, but Nameberry’s statitics show Rue (the young girl who meets a tragic end in the series) is the name that seems to be garnering the most attention.
- Another ‘The Hunger Games’ character, Cato, has an ancient Roman name that, like brothers Atticus and Cassius, is being chosen by modern parents in greater numbers these days.
- Emmett is also hot, something Nameberry says is tied to Emmett Cullen, the adopted brother of vampire hero Edward, in the ‘Twilight‘ series.
- Beyonce and Jay-Z’s daughter, whom they named Blue Ivy, has turned a bright spotlight on Ivy and on color-related names like Blue, Scarlett and Indigo.
- Jenna Fischer on ‘The Office‘ named her son Weston, which leads the pack for trendy “west”-themed names.
- And finally, Adele has reentered the Top 1000 most popular baby names for the first time in nearly half a century. (We’ll give you one guess why.)