Matt Damon Confirms Return to 'Bourne' Franchise, New Film Arrives in 2016


As we reported back in September, Universal has been planning a new 'Bourne' film with Paul Greengrass returning to the director's chair and Matt Damon returning to the role of Jason Bourne. The thing is, we hadn't heard anything official from Damon himself ... until now. The actor finally broke his silence in a recent interview to confirm his return to the 'Bourne' franchise.

Previously Damon had said he wouldn't return to the franchise to play Jason Bourne unless 'Ultimatum' and 'Supremacy' director Paul Greengrass would once again direct. It didn't seem likely, given Greengrass' troubles with Universal and the definitive nature of the trilogy, but Greengrass has come up with an idea to bring Damon's Bourne back, and Damon has confirmed it in an interview with E! Online -- well, actually, Ben Affleck confirmed it for him when the pair were interviewed about 'Project Greenlight':

“Well, [Damon's] going to be doing a Bourne movie next fall when I’ve just completely lost any semblance of physical fitness. So….,”

When asked for explanation, Damon provided:

“Yes, [we shoot] next year. It’ll be in 2016 when the movie will actually come out. [Director] Paul Greengrass is going to do another one and that’s all I ever said. I just needed him to say yes.”

He basically confirms what was previously reported: Greengrass is returning, Damon is returning as Bourne, and the film hits theaters in 2016. Last we reported, the film is expected to take the July 16, 2016 slot that was being held for an untitled 'Bourne' film.

Categories: Movie News
Leave A Comment

Recommended for You

Best of the Web

Best of ScreenCrush