Good morning, happy Monday. Have you settled in at work, shaken the snow off your boots, maybe had a cup of coffee? Good, now hold onto your goddamn hat, because Star Wars is happening again.
Benicio Del Toro - Page 2
Most of the original Guardians of the Galaxy cast is expected to return for the sequel. In fact, most of the original Guardians of the Galaxy cast is contractually obligated to return for the sequel. But, there’s one person who won’t be returning, despite early promises that he’d be a major part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe going forward: Benicio Del Toro. The actor, who played Taneleer Tivan, aka The Collector, says he won’t be returning for Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2.
To be fair, every film with Jeff Bridges is a magical journey, but perhaps none more enchanting than The Little Prince. The official trailer for the long-developing animated film based on Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s acclaimed children’s novella has landed, promising a lovely, sweet and sometimes funny adventure, with exceptionally beautiful animation.
Back in June, Benicio Del Toro didn’t seem too certain of his future in the MCU. While the actor said he’d love to keep developing his eccentric role as The Collector, he wasn’t sure if there was a place for him in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. As it turns out, there is, and his co-star Zoe Saldana has just confirmed it.
In this week’s most intriguing and sort of odd sequel news, Lionsgate is already developing a sequel to Sicario, Denis Villeneuve’s new drug war thriller starring Emily Blunt and Benicio Del Toro. While the film doesn’t hit theaters for another couple of weeks, Villeneuve’s latest has already become a hit with critics following its debut at TIFF, and apparently Del Toro’s character is compelling enough to warrant a sequel.
The first reports of Benicio Del Toro’s casting in Star Wars: Episode 8 described the actor’s role as villainous, and when Del Toro himself later confirmed the casting, he said he’s “like the villain,” suggesting that there’s much more to this character than simply good or evil. In a new interview, the actor backtracks a bit on the whole villain thing, leaving us completely in the dark.
‘Sicario’ is an exercise in prolonged tension like few others. Every moment from the first scene to the last is suspenseful. The opening, a deadly raid on a drug kingpin’s safe house establishes a terrifying precedent: In this film, violence can erupt at any time without any warning, and no one and nothing can be trusted. Having thoroughly unsettled the audience, director Denis Villeneuve keeps viewers on edge with shifty characters, sudden bursts of gunfire, and the careful use of a persistent, pounding score. Remember the scene in Boogie Nights where Alfred Molina is randomly tossing firecrackers at Mark Wahlberg and John C. Reilly? Sicario is like that scene for two straight hours with no “Sister Christian.” It is intense.
He was almost the bad guy in Star Trek Into Darkness, now he seems poised to definitely be the bad guy in Star Wars: Episode VIII.
Last month, we heard that Benicio Del Toro was being sought to play a new villain in Star Wars: Episode 8. And then there was silence, within which we can assume salaries were negotiated, scripts were written, and conversations were had. And that brings us to right now: Del Toro cannot confirm that he’s in the movie quite yet, but he seems awfully confident that it’s going to happen.
Denis Villeneuve’s Sicario continues to drop increasingly intriguing — and unnerving — trailers, the latest of which primarily focuses on Benicio Del Toro’s Alejandro, revealed to be quite the imposing hitman. Judging by Villeneuve’s previous films, Sicario isn’t your average drug war action-thriller, and these trailers definitely reinforce that idea.