‘Jaws’ Finally Coming to Blu-Ray This Summer!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, Universal announces its summer plan to unleash an extras-laden Blu-ray of Steven Spielberg’s masterpiece, ‘Jaws.’
The set will arrive on Aug. 14 boasting more than four hours of bonus features, according to a studio release. And if you follow documentary filmmaker James Gelet on Twitter (@JamesGelet), you know that his comprehensive ‘Jaws’ doc ‘The Shark Is Still Working’ will be part of the DVD supplements. (Congrats, James!)
The ‘Jaws’ release is part of Universal’s ongoing 100th anniversary celebration, where 13 classic Uni titles are being pulled from the vaults and upgraded to a level previously unseen by fans. Below you can see side-by-side examples of the state of the ‘Jaws’ print before restoration, and the image you should be able to see when the Blu-ray reaches shelves.
“‘Jaws’ holds a unique place, not just in Universal Pictures’ history, but in global pop culture,” said Craig Kornblau, President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment in the release. “It is only fitting that this phenomenal film should be given the extensive restoration needed to ensure that long-time fans as well as newcomers can enjoy this unforgettable cinematic achievement for generations to come.”
Here’s a list of the extras you can expect to find on the Blu-ray, a must-own for film fans of any generation:
Blu-ray™ Bonus Features:
- The Shark is Still Working: The Impact & Legacy of JAWS: All-new feature-length documentary featuring never-before-seen footage and interviews with cast and crew including Steven Spielberg, Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider.
JAWS: The Restoration: An all-new, in-depth look at the intricate process of restoring the movie.
- The Making of JAWS: A two-hour documentary featuring interviews with key cast and crew.
- From the Set: An insider’s look at life on the set of JAWS, featuring an interview with Steven Spielberg.
- Deleted Scenes & Outtakes
- JAWS Archives: Take a peek inside the JAWS archives, including storyboards, production photos and marketing materials, as well as a special segment on the JAWS phenomenon.
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- UltraViolet™: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and download and stream instantly to computers, tablets and smartphones. Currently available in the United States only.
- Digital Copy: Viewers can redeem a digital version of the full-length movie from a choice of retail partners to watch on an array of electronic and portable devices.
pocket BLU™ App: The popular free pocket BLU™ app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad®, Android™ tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of the devices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.
- BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
- Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
- Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
- Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
- Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.
DVD Bonus Features:
Spotlight on Location: The Making of JAWS: Highlights from the full-length documentary featuring interviews with key cast and crew.