‘Game of Thrones’ Season 2: Blu-Ray Release Date and Details!
Those of you tuning in for an all-new episode of HBO’s ‘Boardwalk Empire‘ last night likely caught the supremely bad-ass ‘Game of Thrones’ season 3 teaser, but that isn’t all that hungry George R.R. Martin fans have been waiting to see. In advance of the ‘Game of Thrones‘ season 3 premiere on March 31 2013, HBO has released the official details of the season 2 Blu-ray and DVD boxed set! So when can you pick one up, and what special features lie within?
Before ‘Game of Thrones’ season 3 makes its kingly debut on March 31 2013, fans and new viewers alike will need to revisit the incredible second season! And what better what to do that than with the official season 2 Blu-ray and DVD boxed set, hitting stores February 19, 2013? Plenty of time to catch up before the new season begins.
As we’ve come to expect from the first season home release, ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 2′ will come packaged with a number of appealing bonus features, including featurettes that flesh out the history and world of Westeros, cast interviews, and of course, hidden
easter dragon eggs. Courtesy of Entertainment Weekly, check out the full list of extras:
Blu-ray with HBO Select – includes all DVD features plus:
- War of the Five Kings – Track the claims, strategies and key players involved in the battle for the Iron Throne with this interactive guide that follows the movements of various armies detailing their victories and defeats.
- Histories & Lore – 19 animated histories detailing the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves and featuring, in-part, illustrations from Game of Thrones storyboard artist Will Simpson.
- In-Episode Guide – In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories.
- Hidden Dragon Eggs – Find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.
- Creating the Battle of Blackwater Bay – See how the epic Battle of Blackwater Bay was brought to life in this exclusive, in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the climatic episode. The 30 minute feature showcases never-before-seen interviews with cast and crew.
- Game of Thrones: Inner Circle – Actors Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley and Liam Cunningham talk in detail about their experiences shooting season two in this roundtable discussion moderated by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
- The Religions of Westeros – Hear author George R.R. Martin, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss discuss the competing religions in the series and how they influence the various characters in Westeros and beyond.
- Character Profiles – Profiles of seven major characters as described by the actors portraying them including Renly Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Robb Stark, Theon Greyjoy and more.
- Audio Commentaries – 12 commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington and more.
The full Blu-ray set with HBO Select will only set you back a reasonable $79.98, while the five-disc DVD retails for $59.99. Additionally, HBO is re-issuing the first season as a collectors edition DVD and Blu-ray box set on November 20th for $99.97, including a bonus disc with the first episode of the second season and a dragon egg paperweight.
Check out the ‘Game of Thrones’ season 2 box set artwork below, check out the exclusive “Blackwater” clip from EW, and tell us if you’ll pick up the set in the comments!