‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Gets DVD Release Date and Special Features AnnoucementScreenCrush Staff |
The Force is about to awaken in your home, and we promise it won't be an April Fool’s joke.
Lucasfilm announced the digital and DVD, Blu-ray release dates of Star Wars: The Force Awakens for this April. The digital HD download will be available on April 1, followed by the DVD and Blu-ray combo pack on April 5. But by the looks of the special features, you may want to wait till that later date to get yourself a hardcopy.
On top of deleted scenes – one with a not-so-happy Kylo Ren teased in the above trailer – the home release will also feature eight additional special features. You can expect to see a documentary about the making of the film, a feature on John Williams’ score, a look at the making of BB-8 and the cast discussing the film’s first table read, among others. Though the announcement doesn’t list how many deleted scenes we’ll get, we previously reported that there may be about seven deleted scenes with approximately 3-4 minutes of cut footage. Check out the full list of special features below:
- Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary
- The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script
- Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars universe
- Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life
- Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren
- John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens
- ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.
- Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others
- Plus Deleted Scenes
Fans can also collect three limited-edition versions of the Blu-ray combo pack. The exclusive release from Target will feature 20 extra minutes of bonus features:
Walmart’s BB-8 collectors combo pack will feature an exclusive Star Wars Galactic Connexions trading disc:
And Best Buy’s Dark Side-themed covers will feature exclusive SteelBook Packaging:
Check out the additional Blu-ray combo pack and DVD covers below: