Comic-Con 2016: ‘Walking Dead’ Panel Mercilessly Teases Negan Victim
The Walking Dead may not have revealed Negan's victim, but the smash AMC drama certainly made a killing at Comic-Con 2016. We already caught the trailer, but what major details did the zombie-killer cast reveal from the assembled cast in San Diego? Our full panel report!
Here's what we learned from the assembled might of Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Steven Yeun, Lauren Cohan, Danai Gurira, Chandler Riggs, Michael Cudlitz, Sonequa Martin-Green, Christian Serratos, Ross Marquand and Josh McDermitt, along with executive producers Scott M. Gimple, Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, Greg Nicotero and David Alpert:
- Naturally, the new season will premiere on October 23, airing eight episodes this year, and eight in February of 2017.
- There’s plenty to digest in the new trailer, which cleverly looked back on all the characters’ histories so as not to show too much of them (or their corpses) past that major moment. In addition to King Ezekiel (Khary Payton) and Shiva, we caught trips to Negan’s factory hideaway, Carol offering some wonderful sass in a theater, the lost mission of Tara and Heath, and much more!
- There were looks at a few ever-more-gruesome walkers full of colorful pustules and general grossness. Lots appeared to come from a mound of dust, ending up completely covered in it.
- Of COURSE Jeffrey Dean Morgan would stalk the panel participants with Lucille. Everyone’s already lined up and everything!
- Naturally, the cast had to keep pretty selective about what they could say, lest one of them nod to not filming beyond the premiere. Someone’s gotta get that bat, and either way Steven Yeun was staying cheery.
- Andrew Lincoln played up a major showdown to come, provided fans make it through the early heartbreak of the premiere, and the immediate fallout.
- Chandler Riggs mentioned that Norman Reedus would tease his lack of depth perception, now that Carl wears a prosthetic/eyepatch. Fans also witnessed the escalation of Reedus and Lincoln’s prank war, to the point Lincoln tried to douse him with glitter, but ended up covering his own beard.
- Lennie James wasn’t there in person, but offered a video greeting and spurred fans into a #MorganLives hashtag.
- There’s a little Negan asking questions! Will never unsee.
- Gee, go figure, Norman’s favorite Season 6 scene involved the rocket launcher.
- Chris Hardwick mentions he doesn’t ever want to appear in a cameo, lest it distract from anything. We’re fine with that, Chris.
Elsewhere of The Walking Dead Season 7, we know that new series regulars include Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Negan), Austin Amelio (Dwight), Tom Payne (Jesus) and Xander Berkeley (Gregory), while several more major additions are expected to announce soon. Season 7 has also gone to great lengths to conceal Negan’s final victim, shooting death scenes with all of the main cast.
Check out the trailer again, and stay tuned for more news of The Walking Dead’s October premiere from Comic-Con 2016!
Check Out 100 TV Facts You May Not Know!