Comic-Con 2015: ‘Doctor Who’ Panel Drops First Season 9 Trailer and More!
Doctor Who had a timeline’s worth of work to do last year in introducing Peter Capaldi as Matt Smith’s replacement, regrettably costing Whovian fans a Comic-Con appearance. Now, Peter Capaldi makes his Doctor Who debut at Comic-Con 2015 to preview the ninth season of the series, teasing plenty of twists and turns for Missy, Clara, The Doctor, and all those in Season 9's path.
In addition to the footage teased of Doctor Who’s ninth season, here’s what the cast and crew had to say from their grand Comic-Con 2015 return to Hall H:
- After the insane greeting that met Peter Capaldi at his first Comic-Con, Steven Moffat offered up a lovely compliment on the actor’s success as The Doctor: “He’s a very distinct voice, and he’s Scottish, which is better.” Hard to argue there.
- Capaldi too espouses his excitement at joining a show that’s been “in his bones” since he was six, relaying that in his original “Pompeii” guest role, he’d nerdishly asked David Tennant to point him toward the Tardis.
- Turning focus to Michelle Gomez as Missy / The Master, Gomez enjoys how the rules don’t necessarily apply to her villainous character, making her all the more fun. Moffat expands that the relationship between the pair is akin to a hunter and a vegetarian, killing for vastly different reasons, with only Missy enjoying it. Moffat even refers to them as “best friends,” in that The Doctor has no other Time Lords to share the universe with.
- In particular, Capaldi joked about discovering the existence of another Time Lord, only to learn that it was the most evil of all “Life is shit. Business as usual. Scottish philosophy.” Later, he offered his interpretation of the character: “He is not a soldier. He’d rather sit in the car park at night, looking at the stars. He’s not a military figure. He’s a bohemian slash philosopher slash rebel Time Lord.”
- Jenna Coleman says Series 9 will see Clara diving head first into TARDIS life with the Doctor, rather than the control freak nature that had previously gotten her in trouble. Not only that, but Clara will help the Doctor better interact with other people, rather than coming across so … well, alien.
- Coleman also talked about the transition between Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi, saying “there aren’t many shows where you swap out the leading man mid-scene…it was saying goodbye to one dear friend and hello to another all at the same time.”
- Moffat deflected the usual questions of a female Doctor, believing his explanation evident in the show’s subtext, while Coleman expressed that it would happen at some point, with the right actor. Peter Capaldi in drag is another horrifying possibility.
- Doctor Who will premiere on September 19, but check out the trailer for yourself below!
Premiering with two-part installment “The Magician’s Apprentice” and “The Witch’s Familiar,” Doctor Who Season 9 will feature among its guest stars Game of Thrones favorite Maisie Williams, Rufas Hound, Tom Stourton, Ariyon Bakare, Simon Lipkin, Ian Conningham, Murray McArthur, Barnaby Kay, John Voce, Struan Rodger, Jemma Redgrave, Kelly Hunter, Clare Higgins, Jaye Griffiths, Daniel Hoffmann-Gill, Jami Reid-Quarrell, Aaron Neil, India Ria Amarteifio, Joey Price, Dasharn Anderson, Harki Bhambra, Demi Papaminas, and a returning Michelle Gomez.
Time will tell what we learn from Doctor Who’s fall 2015 return, but what Comic-Con secrets have fans the most excited?
Check Out 100 TV Facts You May Not Know!